Important Update: We have dates!

New CUPE members will come into the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) and Shared Health on
December 13th.

The Commissioner plans to issue interim bargaining certificates that will come into effect next month.

We are communicating with health care unions and employers to work towards a smooth transition.
CUPE is also working hard to get to the bargaining table. We want to negotiate a new collective agreement
for you.

When can bargaining begin?

A bargaining unit certificate is the legal document that explains which union represents each group of
workers. Now that the representation votes are done, each union will be given a bargaining unit certificate
for the workers that have become part of that union. Once the interim certificates are issued next month,
CUPE can start the bargaining process.

CUPE's contracts are the best in health care! CUPE ensures that every member can make suggestions on how to improve their collective agreement.

  • To prepare for bargaining:
    CUPE is working on Essential Services Agreements. The agreements tell us how many staff must work
    in each facility in the event of job action like a strike or lock out. By law, we cannot bargain until
    Essential Services Agreements are done.
  • Your CUPE bargaining committee will do a bargaining survey electronically and will also distribute paper
    copies to members who request this.
  • The bargaining committee will compile the results of the surveys and prepare the proposal package.
  • Then bargaining can begin, using the designated receiving agreement as a base.
  • Your current contract covers you until bargaining concludes.

What is my receiving agreement?

The receiving agreement is the collective agreement that covers the largest number of employees in the
winning union. This is the starting point for bargaining between CUPE and the health authorities.
The CUPE receiving agreements are:

Shared Services - Community:
CUPE 204 – Health Sciences Centre
Shared Services - Facility:
CUPE 204 – Health Sciences Centre
WRHA - Community:
CUPE 204 – Seven Oaks General Hospital
WRHA - Facility:
CUPE 204 – Seven Oaks General Hospital

Who represents me?

  • CUPE will represent you starting December 8th or 13th, including for any existing grievances or
  • You will pay dues to CUPE;
  • Your current contract remains your contract until bargaining concludes (even after you join CUPE)

What can I do?

Please make sure we have your most recent contact information, including cell phone number and
personal email. We do not use work contact information to reach you for union business.

Do not hesitate to contact CUPE if you have any questions or concerns.

Shannon McAteer, CUPE Health Care Coordinator, may be reached at:
Phone: 204-942-0343
Email: [email protected]

Showing 1 reaction

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.